Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Attic fire quickly extinguished

  • 0
Fire

ATTIC FIRE: Firefighter Scott Thomas (left) empties a bucket of insulation as Fire Chief Brian Whitehead walks by as the fire department battled a small attic fire at 2142 Clay Street. (Staff Photo by Suzi Nelson)

ASHLAND – Firefighters made quick work of an attic fire in an Ashland home last week.

The residents at 2142 Clay Street were alerted to the fire by an observant neighbor who noticed smoke coming from the eaves just before 9:45 a.m. on July 19, according to Ashland Volunteer Fire Department First Captain Matt Meyer.

The call to 911 came at about 9:45 a.m. Firefighters arrived on the scene a few minutes later, including Meyer, who was mowing the yard of a home very close to the fire at the time the 911 call was made. When he heard the call, rather than take the time to get in his vehicle, drive to the fire hall and load up, he drove the mower over to the house and assessed the situation. At first, he did not see the smoke, but within a few minutes he saw evidence of the fire.

Meyer said firefighters removed the cellulose insulation and some boards and were able to extinguish the small fire with a water extinguisher, and not having to use the large water hoses. The cause of the fire was wiring to a kitchen light, Meyer added. Firefighters were able to wrap things up in about an hour.

The tenants were allowed to return to their home after a few hours. No one was injured in the fire.

According to the Saunders County Assessor’s website, the house is owned by Robert Mankhey of Lincoln. Records show it was built in 1898.

0 Comments

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

WAHOO – From May 23 through June 5, the Saunders County Sheriff’s Office participated in a national safety campaign called “Click It or Ticket…